Prince William promises to ‘take care’ of wife Kate Middleton during first engagement since her cancer announcement

Prince William promised to “take care” of his wife Kate Middleton during his first engagement since she shared her cancer diagnosis.
Last month, the Princess of Wales announced that she is undergoing treatment for cancer, which was discovered after she underwent abdominal surgery in January.
After taking a few weeks off work for Easter, the Prince of Wales returned to work on Thursday to offer a helping hand at food distribution charity Surplus to Supper in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey.

Joining the inspirational Surplus to Supper and seeing how they redistribute 25,000 meals a year across Surrey and West London. pic.twitter.com/eiXnCXxICD
— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) April 18, 2024

During his engagement, William met volunteer Rachel Candappa, 71, who handed him two get well soon cards addressed to King Charles and Kate.
Weeks before Kate shared her cancer diagnosis, King Charles also revealed his own battle with cancer.
The Prince looked visibly moved, and told her: “Oh some cards, oh, you’re very kind. Thank you very much, that’s very kind of you.”
The volunteer then asked William to “take care” of Kate, and he placed his left hand on her shoulder and promised “I will.”

A brilliant model for sustainability, fresh food that would otherwise have gone to waste is redistributed for free to support foodbanks, schools, care homes, shelters, clubs and religious organisations across the local community. pic.twitter.com/BSny2GBroB
— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) April 18, 2024
Speaking to the Daily Mail, Ms Candappa revealed: “I said take care of her and he said ‘I will’
“I was at home at 8.30 last night and I thought I had to do something. This is a chance to give a card directly to the palace officials. I didn’t think I’d be able to give the cards to William. I said: ‘Can I shake your hand?’. I loved it, he was very down to earth.
“I’m never washing my hand again,” she added.
According to BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond, the Prince didn’t share an update on Kate’s condition during the engagement.
JULIEN BEHAL PHOTOGRAPHY
“No word from the Prince about his wife’s condition in this, his first engagement since Kate made her video statement,” he said.
“Her condition was on the minds of many who waited outside for his arrival and departure – and inside he was handed ‘get well’ cards for his wife and for the King. But he left without drawing back the curtain on how his wife’s treatment is going.”
The last engagement the Prince of Wales attended was an event tackling homelessness on March 19, just days before Kate’s shock announcement.
The family chose not to attend the Royals annual Easter service either, choosing to spend it in Norfolk with their children – George, 10, Charlotte, 8, and Louis, 5.
@mattporteous
On March 22, the Princess of Wales released an emotional video revealing that she is undergoing preventative cancer treatment.
The 42-year-old said: “In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present.
“My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventive chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.”
“This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time.”

“It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.”
“As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits. Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too.
“As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.”
“We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment. My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery.”
There is no date as to when the Princess will return to public engagements.